Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Good eats

On 9/12/2010 4:01 PM, Jim Macey wrote:
> On 9/11/2010 8:10 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> snip

> Thanks, George. Looks great...
> J...iNM

About two years ago I ran up on the TAMU pamphlet on canning, just
looked at it again, it's from 1964. That's when my lovely wife belonged
to the home extension club in our area, all female at the time and they
swapped recipes and hints. The extension agent, Miss Dorothy (can't
remember her last name) had been there for years and was still there
when we moved away in 1976. Don't know when she retired finally. They
always had the neatest home preserving booklets and we had a stash of
them. Of course they're badly out of date now but I updated all the
recipes according to the latest scoop on canning.

The peanut butter bread recipe was posted about 1992 on a bread machine
mailing list I was on, don't even remember who posted it but it has been
a favorite dessert bread for years with us. We're of the peanut butter
and jelly sandwich generation, born just before WWII and raised on the
stuff during the war. When my eldest sisters' husband came home from the
war in 1946 (spent more than a year in a military hospital recovering
from wounds incurred the day before VJ Day) all he wanted was a jar of
peanut butter and a jar of grape jelly, said he had been craving that
for four years. He died in 1986 and ate a PB&J sandwich every day until
he died for his lunch.

He would have liked the peanut butter bread I'm sure.