Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

On 9/7/2010 12:09 AM, Ellen K. wrote:
> Janet,
>
> Your family experience may be prescriptive for you. It is not
> prescriptive for me.
>
> If you are interested to learn more about the issues I mentioned, here
> are two url's you can look at:
>
> http://www.friendswithdiabetes.org/guides.html - download the pdf
> Tishrei 5764 part 2 in the Tishrei section. This is written from the
> (litvishe) Ashkenazi standpoint, does not mention that anyone else holds
> differently, and includes in a box on page 2 some examples of how big a
> kezayis is for different bread types according to this shita.
>
> http://www.berachot.org/halacha/13_shiurkazayis.html
> The first part of this goes into quite some detail about the (litvishe)
> Ashkenazi method of calculating a kezayis. Toward the bottom of the page
> the Sephardi method is discussed. Near the top they also have a diagram
> illustrating how different a kezayis looks depending on the original
> shape of the food, i.e. a kezayis of matzo looks a lot bigger (still by
> the Ashkenazi method). In the middle of the page are detailed
> explanations of how to calculate a kezayis for different shapes of foods
> according to the Ashkenazi shita.
>
> Here are a few important sentences from this article, which the author
> notes are summarized from Rav Bodner's "Halachos of K'zayis":
>
> "if someone ate less then a k'zayis of bread he is not required, nor
> PERMITED to bentch."
>
> "Knowing how much food equals k'zayis is not an easy matter. A k'zayis
> is a measure of volume. (Volume - the amount of space the item
> occupies). Two items which when measured have the same volume; will
> often not be perceived as such."
> "The Mishna Berura and most Poskim rule that with regard to brocha
> achrona we adopt the most stringent view, not to make a brocha achrona
> unless one ate an amount equal to ½ an egg."
>
> Thank you,

Ellen,

I'm sure you have to do what your heart tells you to do.

I can't eat even the tiniest bite of matzoh. I have half a tongue and
diminished saliva. I choke on matzoh. I cannot chew it and I cannot
swallow it. I still participate in the seder.

I have the same problem with bread. I can manage a marble-sized piece of
challah if I compress it with my fingers.

Klal Yisrael prays for the entire nation of Israel. There are very few
prayers that are individually oriented.

I will make the bracha on matzoh at a seder because I am making it for
klal Yisrael, not just myself. The same with my less than halachic piece
of challah. I will say the bracha acharona for klal Yisrael, not myself.

I will say the al chait for a bunch of things this Yom Kippur but I can
assure you it will not be for blessing G-d for the gift of bread that I
can't, medically, eat.

BTW, this is fine with my rabbi.

Shannah Tova

--