Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

On 9/5/2010 11:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>
>>> We gave up on the exchange business years ago. It was impossible for
>>> my DH to comprehend. We went back to Diabetes School and learned
>>> "carb counting" and it was like a miracle. His weight went down, his
>>> A1C went down and he started to enjoy his food instead of worrying
>>> about what it was doing to him.

>> I don't understand why people think it is difficult. It is really no
>> different than carb counting except that there is less math to do.
>> They're really pretty much the same thing. I don't technically do the
>> carb counting because I don't like to do all that adding. It's just
>> far easier for me to think in terms of 1, 2 or 3 servings of whatever
>> the carb is. The Exchange Plan has never caused me to worry.

> I don't count carbs per se, as in looking up carbs in a book. I would
> try a piece of bread and if too high then try 1/2 a slice next time etc.
> With the exchange system, to me, it is easy to swap 1 piece of bread for
> 2 rye crackers or whatever. The exchange lists I have seen have always
> provided a list of alternatives (and amounts) for each carb serve. Was
> never anything that needed weighing but stuff like milk, cereal etc
> needed measuring cups, which I always have inthe house anyway. Once you
> do it a few times though you get to eyeball it.

He just never could comprehend the exchange system. I think it
intimidated him. It intimidates a lot of people and that is why they
came out with carb counting. Many people, especially those who are not
kitchen cognizant, have much more success on this plan. It doesn't just
count carbs, it also teaches you how to scale portions of protein and
limit fat. I think it's much more about portion control and learning how
to recognize a portion without weighing everything. You have to admit
the exchange diet is very "weight" intense. (Which might be what scares
people)

I also have a app in my Android phone now that is for dieters, but it
gives the nutritional value of lots of stuff and especially chain
restaurant food. I look things up for him so he has an accurate count
for his pump.

When he learned carb counting, all he had to do was read a label. He
learned about carby vegetables. He learned about milk and fruit, etc.
After a while it became easy to "eye-ball" a serving and determine the
carbs. He needs to count carbs for his insulin pump, too.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas