Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> : >
>> : > : Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb
>> count.
>> : > : That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no
>> : > matter
>> : > : to me.
>> : >
>> : > : That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you
>> do
>> : > not
>> : > : count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more
>> servings
>> : > per
>> : > : meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g.
>> That's
>> : > minus
>> : > : the fiber.
>> : >
>> : > When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about
>> whether
>> : > fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
>> : > sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of
>> carb(no
>> : > fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo
>> carb,
>> : > again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the
>> package
>> : > if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like
>> small
>> : > fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe
>> that any
>> : > fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be
>> the
>> : > same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as
>> preferable.
>>
>> : I was told that fruit, bread and milk were all interchangeable in terms
>> of
>> : carbs and to subtract the fiber.
>>
>> The exchange plan I learned was all in terms of measurements, not
>> counting
>> for each food item. 1/2 C of pasta, 1/3 C of rice, 1 C of brocolli, 1
>> small apple, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 C oatmeal, etc. no total number of
>> carbs or calories, just numbers of exchanges and the diet was
>> individualized by how many of each kind of exchange you were to eat in a
>> day-like 5 (1 oz ) lean or medium meat exchanged, 3 fruit exchanges, etc.
>>
>> Wendy

> That was my experience also.
>
> I'm gonna guess they tell Julie a carb count for each exchange type
> because she has to know the carb count in order to calculate her insulin.
> ?

I do need to know that, but actually every dietician I have seen has touted
the exhange program, especially for those who need to lose weight. If
weight loss is not an issue then perhaps one only needs to concern
themselves with carbs. But I would think for most of us, fat would have to
factor in there, particularly if you are going to eat some form of carbs.