Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

On 9/5/2010 5:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. > wrote in message
>> Julie > wrote:
>> :>
>> :> : Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb
>> count.
>> :> : That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no
>> :> matter
>> :> : to me.
>> :>
>> :> : That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you
>> do
>> :> not
>> :> : count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more
>> servings
>> :> per
>> :> : meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's
>> :> minus
>> :> : the fiber.
>> :>
>> :> When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about
>> whether
>> :> fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
>> :> sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
>> :> fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo
>> carb,
>> :> again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the
>> package
>> :> if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like
>> small
>> :> fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that
>> any
>> :> fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be
>> the
>> :> same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.
>>
>> : I was told that fruit, bread and milk were all interchangeable in terms
>> of
>> : carbs and to subtract the fiber.
>>
>> The exchange plan I learned was all in terms of measurements, not counting
>> for each food item. 1/2 C of pasta, 1/3 C of rice, 1 C of brocolli, 1
>> small apple, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 C oatmeal, etc. no total number of
>> carbs or calories, just numbers of exchanges and the diet was
>> individualized by how many of each kind of exchange you were to eat in a
>> day-like 5 (1 oz ) lean or medium meat exchanged, 3 fruit exchanges, etc.

> That's right. There was a chart showing how much of each food equaled an
> exchange. However since I don't drink milk and rarely eat fruit, I was told
> to substitute a starch for those things.

We gave up on the exchange business years ago. It was impossible for my
DH to comprehend. We went back to Diabetes School and learned "carb
counting" and it was like a miracle. His weight went down, his A1C went
down and he started to enjoy his food instead of worrying about what it
was doing to him.

He was given the numbers of carbs he could have for meals and snacks and
that was adjusted after he kept a food diary for a month. He now knows
how much carbohydrates he can handle at what time of the day and is
doing great.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas