Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >,
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >
: >> Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g
: >> per
: >> serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for
: >> everything.
: >
: > Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
: > follow it.

: Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb count.
: That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no matter
: to me.

: That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you do not
: count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more servings per
: meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's minus
: the fiber.

When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about whether
fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo carb,
again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the package
if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like small
fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that any
fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be the
same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.

Wendy