Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Ellen's breakfast vis--vis morning readings

"Ellen K." wrote in message

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
On 9/3/2010 4:39 PM, Ellen K. wrote:

"Nicky" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
wrote:

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here
are
my numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest
FBG
so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what
now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
something for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
which was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from
the
pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only
4
points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.

Any thoughts?

My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike
you like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional
intervention.

I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just
keeps going up.

Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
the fat/protein and see what happens.