Dale Williams

Default TN: Easter weekend wines (and the winners are NZ SB & '02 Sancerre)

In article >,
(ate1) writes:

>I'm interested to read that this is still enjoyable. I bought
>quite a bit of this last year (at $15 it seemed reasonable) but was
>advised to drink up as the Albariņos don't hold. Is it unusual that
>this is still holding up or do I have my Albariņo information all
>wrong?

Well, I don't think of Albariņo as a wine to age (though I have no personal
experience of that), but with a very few exceptions (Beaujolais Nouveau, Vinho
Verde, maybe the lighter simple Muscadets) I can't think of many wines that
will deteriorate appreciably in a year. I mean, I'm pretty sure the '02 is the
current vintage. A lot of places are still selling the '01, actually.

The crisp whites that I generally think of as best drunk young (encompasses NZ
and most Loire SBs, Pinot Grigios, Friulian Tocai, Mcons, and many more) - I
think in most cases you're pretty safe up till maybe 2 years from release.
This is all assuming you don't keep your wines above the stove, of course.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this from others here. Is there anyone
here who doesn't want a wine say 6 months after release (other than BoNo, VV,
Muscadet, or maybe Fino sherry)? Assuming you are confident of storage in the
meantime, of course.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply