Vox Humana

Default powdered sugar

"Conny" > wrote in message
> I have checked several brands of powdered sugar, and they all have

cornstarch listed
> as the second ingredient other than sugar. Why cornstarch?? to keep the

sugar dry???
> I need just powdered sugar to make truffles. Does anybody know of a brand

of sugar
> w/o the cornstarch?
> Guess I have to make it myself in my spice/coffee grinder?
> --
> Conny - Sonora - CA - USA

The cornstarch is added in very small amounts to prevent caking. You might
check at a health food store to see if they have any without cornstarch. If
you have an ethnic grocery, you might also check there for imported brands.
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about using it in the truffles. Since virtually
all confectioner's sugar contains cornstarch, the recipe you have most
likely assumes that you will be using sugar with cornstarch. Also, I doubt
that you will be able to produce anything close to the consistency of
powdered sugar at home.