Old 21-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Mark Lipton

Default article on gout, wine beer and spirits

Emery Davis wrote:

Perhaps of interest:

http://www.iht.com/ihtsearch.php?id=515544&owner=(NYT)&date=200404201 91130

I have several friends with the condition, we all share hypertension, so I have
been concerned about developing it. Perhaps as mostly a wine drinker
I will be spared. (Although I did have a guinness or three with me fish and chips
yesterday.)

This comes from a study recently published in The Lancet. It's mostly
noteworthy for confirming conventional wisdom (that alcohol
promotes/exacerbates the condition), although the exemption of wine from
the list of offending drinks is gratifying.

Mark Lipton