Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted: A French Toast Recipe Please.

Whirled wrote on Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:07:36 -0700:

> On 08/29/2010 07:04 PM, e-mail from gene wrote:
>> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've

> This was the subject of a thread here in r.f.c. some time ago.
> I've copied the recipe here and added a summary of some of the
> comments. One of the more interesting comments (not included
> here -- odd) was that the flour in the batter probably adds
> some crispiness to the final crust.

> I've made this recipe and it is the *best* French Toast I've
> ever had, by a long shot. I made it with French bread cut on a
> diagonal instead of Texas Toast and added maybe a tablespoon
> of brandy to the batter. After it was cooked I put butter and a couple
> of slices of ripe banana on the top of each, then
> covered it with plain old Log Cabin syrup. I thought I'd died and gone
> to heaven. It also took about a week for my BG to
> come back down. Some day I'd like to try it with brioche for
> the bread.

Sorry, here I go again.

Add a little milk to Egg-beaters and salt and pepper to taste. Soak Arab
bread in it for 5-10 minutes, fry until light brown and serve with
ketchup (and take cover from outraged maple syrup purists!)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland