Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Chards, SB, West Coast reds in GA, Burg and Mosel in NY

Betsy and I flew to Atlanta Friday, and met my parents at hospital
where my Mom was having an outpatient procedure. Betsy stopped at
supermarket on way back to their house, and made roast chicken and
vegetables (parsnips, sweet potatoes, beets) for dinner. Now my dad is
the uber-non-winegeek, and enjoys a glass of jug red over ice each
night. I decided to pass on the Livingston, but he said "I've got some
Chardonnay in fridge" so hopefully I said sure I'll take a glass. The
2007 Redwood Canyon (Frei Brothers) Chardonnay does a grand impression
of a can of store brand pears in heavy syrup. Sweet, cloying, heavy
texture with a distinct metallic tang, with a whiff of weird chemical.
C-

The next night Betsy made a shrimp/corn/tomato salad and garlicky
green beans. I had helped with the shopping this time, and was
determined to not taste that Chardonnay again (which basically
eliminated Chard as a category, I didn't want to say to dad I don't
want to drink YOUR chardonnay). But I have to say Georgia supermarket
wines remind me of Springsteen's "57 Channels and nothing on" (how
quaint that seems in today's 500+ channel world). Hundreds of SKUs,
little interesting. I settled for a $10 NZ, the 2008 The Crossings
Sauvignon Blanc. Lemon and a little gooseberry, a hint of grass,
softer acidity than I'd prefer, not very long. But a vast improvement.
B-

Sunday Betsy was planning dinner, she made a quinoa salad and
asparagus, I was in charge of Tbones. As I was going to store Dad
mentioned that they don't sell wine on Sunday. Oops. Luckily my
brother was coming, and I asked him to bring a bottle of red (and
white if my sister in law didn't want to drink Redwood). He brought 2
reds, plus a white

1997 Guenoc Langtry Meritage
Totally crumbly cork, we had to "decant" into a pitcher, and then
poured glasses through a coffee filter. OK, the good news was some
warm plum fruit, a hint of cocoa, resolved tannins, nice texture. Bad
news was a bit of heat sticking out, and a not very long finish. My
brother has a nice active cellar now, but didn't till a few years ago,
and I have a feeling I might have given this to him 6-10 years ago. So
maybe not great storage, but other than the heat I enjoyed. B

2007 14 Hands Merlot (Washington)
Good fruit, a bit of toasty oak sticking out, slightly tacky tannins.
OK but I preferred Guenoc (may have been only one)

2009 Clos du Bois Chardonnay
Typical Cal Chard- sweet, some vanilla, midbodied, though not
especially buttery. Not my preferred style, but worlds better than the
Redwood. B-

Monday was pasta primavera, I had a little leftover CdBois and SB,
both held ok.

The 3 of us flew back today (David had come down Sunday night), I was
glad to be back to my own wines. When I got back from office I opened
the 2007 Matrot Bourgogne Blanc. A little flat at first, but seemed to
open up- clean, good acidity, nice texture. Fresh pears this time
around, a little nuttiness. Not very long. B

Betsy made fish tacos, and I opened another white, the 2007 Selbach-
Oster "Zeltinger Sonnenuhr"Kabinett. On the softer side, less
exuberant than I remember (closed?), but with a nice core of Mosel
apples and slate. Good length, classy. B/B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*