Ewan McNay

Default VA wines - one from White Hall, Horton tasting. Long, sorry.

Bill wrote:

> I thought the Horton Viognier was outstanding, probably the best US
> Viognier, the first two years it was offered. In its third year, it took a nose dive. I have not
> bothered to buy any of it for at least 8 years or so.
>
> Horton Norton is a wine that you would never identify as coming from
> Virginia. I have drunk it many times and am constantly surprised that a wine so complex and dry
> can be made from the native non-vinifera grapes. I think of it more as a curiosity than a
> sought after wine because the price is just not competitive.

I would say that the 'nose dive after a few years' descriptor
applies to the Norton also, alas (at least on the limited data I
have). The '93 was great, '94 and '95 OK, and from then on it
seemed to be less impressive. I wonder whether the Horton
winemaker(s) have a short attention span?