Ewan McNay

Default VA wines - one from White Hall, Horton tasting. Long, sorry.

BallroomDancer wrote:

> "Ewan McNay" > wrote in message
>
>>Down in Charlottesville last weekend, we stopped in at Horton on
>>the way back, to find that in addition to their usual spread they
>>were doing a barrel tasting of four wines.
>>

> I want to try the White Hall, will be looking for it, based on your
> recommendation. I live in southeastern VA. Best wines that I tried from the
> area where Horton is located were the reds from Barboursville (especially
> Octagon Reserve), also a smaller winery named Burnley (the wineries are a
> couple of miles apart). Going a bit further west, I have found several wines
> that I like from Shenandoah. Most of the Horton wines can be purchased
> locally (Chesapeake, VA - near Virginia Beach) for 10 to 25% cheaper than at
> the winery. I do have most of a case of Horton 1998 Cabernet Franc. My wife
> and I liked the Nebbiolio and the Port.

There was a good thread on VA wineries a while back; others of my
personal favourites (all now out of date) would be Afton
Mountain, Burnley that you note, and Oakencroft for the people
rather than the wines. I expect that the Kluge folks will do a
reasonable job, and further north I have goood reports (but no
experience) of Linden.

The best source for a goood range of VA wines I've found in the
C'ville area is the Wine Warehouse, which also has very pleasant
tastings and expert staff (if zero ambience).