BallroomDancer

Default VA wines - one from White Hall, Horton tasting. Long, sorry.

"Ewan McNay" > wrote in message
> Down in Charlottesville last weekend, we stopped in at Horton on
> the way back, to find that in addition to their usual spread they
> were doing a barrel tasting of four wines.

I want to try the White Hall, will be looking for it, based on your
recommendation. I live in southeastern VA. Best wines that I tried from the
area where Horton is located were the reds from Barboursville (especially
Octagon Reserve), also a smaller winery named Burnley (the wineries are a
couple of miles apart). Going a bit further west, I have found several wines
that I like from Shenandoah. Most of the Horton wines can be purchased
locally (Chesapeake, VA - near Virginia Beach) for 10 to 25% cheaper than at
the winery. I do have most of a case of Horton 1998 Cabernet Franc. My wife
and I liked the Nebbiolio and the Port.
However, we have generally been drinking Austrailian and German wines,
finding them priced lower for comparable taste. YMMV.
Jim