Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:42:51 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Julian Vrieslander" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> Thinking of going to culinary school? Read this first.
>>
>> <http://crosscut.com/2010/08/20/education/20074/The-scandal-of-$50,000-cu
>> linary--degrees--/>

>It's really inexcusable, but how many kids are you going to convince to
>slave these days as an apprentice for 10 years before they actually cook
>anything?

Methinks you exaggerate. I agree with the value of an apprenticeship
but not with the ten years before cooking anything. An apprentice in
any trade will be perfoming almost immediately and will progress at
whatever rate their innate ability permits. Cooking is an art, same
as with all art forms without natural talent one goes nowhere.