Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Hemp protein vs. Whey protein

On Aug 17, 7:24*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
> >I do a fruit smoothie for breakfast in the mornings. *I had been using
> >whey protein in my morning smoothies until I got a few comments from
> >others about hemp protein, so I decided to try some.

> >I must admit I like the hemp protein waaaaaaay better than the
> >whey.

> >Here's why: *first, the whey protein makes the smoothie really 'poofy'
> >and sort of 'gummy' with an almost slimy texture; *second, the whey
> >protein really pumps up the volume of the smoothie and makes it too
> >filling. * * The hemp protein does not expand and does not make the
> >smoothie change texture and it does not increase the volume of the
> >smoothie. *It doesn't mask any flavors of the fruit the way the whey
> >does as well.

> >I figure it's the difference between dairy and vegetable. *And I'm
> >preferring the vegetable both for texture and mouth feel.

> >Does anyone else here do morning smoothies and do you use whey protein
> >or hemp protein? *I'd love to have your reactions to both.

> Thanks for the report. *I have not yet used hemp protein (I've tried
> hemp milk). * My understanding is it is complete protein, as is
> whey protein. *It is also probably no more expensive, if you're
> limiting yourself to north-American produced products.
>
> Steve

It is comparable in price. It is a complete protein. I've used two
brands now and I can't tell any difference
in them. Both are organic. One I bought at Fred Meyer, the other at
my regular health food store. I'm glad to know that I can get it at
more than one place and that the price is comparable and it's not
really expensive.