Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
Miles Bader Miles Bader is offline

Default Chemex Blooming question?

Boron Elgar > writes:
> Sorry to stumble upon this thread so late, but you don't know what you
> are talking about.

Like most people here, I just know about google ... :]

But from what I've read on the net, the general consensus seems to be
that bloom is caused by carbon dioxide from roasting.

> From the Sweet Maria's site:
>
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr...nst.chemex.php
> "3. When the water is boiling, remove it from the heat for 30 seconds.
> It should now be about 195 to 205 degrees F., the perfect brewing
> temperature. Chemex recommends pouring a small amount of water over
> the grinds, just enough to wet them without floating them. This
> pre-wetting allows coffee to "bloom", to swell and prepare for even
> infusion brewing."
>
> Nothing to do with CO2.

That quote says nothing at all about the _reason_ for the blooming, it
just says "it blooms."

Here's a quote which gives more detail:

http://www.coffeehabitat.com/coffee-glossary.html
" Bloom -- Fresh coffee releases carbon dioxide, and will expand and
bubble when hot water hits the grounds. This is most evident when
coffee is prepared in a French press. The fresher the coffee, the
larger and more vigorous the bloom. Whole bean coffee will lose much
of its bloom within 10 days of roasting. Pre-ground coffee will go
flat much sooner as it off-gases its carbon dioxide very quickly. "

> And coffee from Costco can be might fresh, indeed, especially from the
> stores that have a big, fat roaster in them.

No idea about that.

-Miles

--
What the **** do white people have to be blue about!? Banana Republic ran
out of Khakis? The Espresso Machine is jammed? Hootie and The Blowfish