alzelt

Default 16 lb Fresh pork Ham

Fred wrote:
> I have been selected by my family to bake/cook a 16 lb fresh pork ham.
> I purchased it at Publix today. Now I have a problem. Do I just add
> pepper and put it in the oven at-----300 degrees for about 6-8
> hours---that has been suggested to me by a friend---HELP!!!!!!!Fat
> side up was also stated. Thanks.

While some people go crazy over a big slab of ham, I prefer the "fresh
ham" or leg of pork. Here are two wonderful recipes:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Fresh Ham with Orange Glaze

Recipe By : Saveur, December 1999.
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Main Dish
Meats Pork

FOR THE HAM:
1 fresh ham on the bone -- (15 to 20lb)
6 cloves garlic -- peeled and sliced
(6 to 7)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 lbs shallots -- peeled
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp dijon mustard

1. For the ham: Place oven rack in lower third of oven, then preheat
oven to 325°. Put ham in a large heavy roasting pan. Trim off tough
outer skin, then score the fat in a crosshatch pattern. Make small
incisions all over the ham with the tip of a paring knife, inserting a
piece of sliced garlic in each slit as you go. Rub ham with salt and
pepper to taste. Roast in oven for 2 hours, then remove ham and set aside.

2. For the glaze: Combine orange marmalade, orange juice, and mustard in
a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring
often. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Brush entire surface of ham generously with orange glaze. Scatter
peeled shallots around ham in bottom of roasting pan, add orange juice,
then return to oven to roast. Continue to baste ham every 30 minutes.
Roast ham until browned and internal temperature reaches 170° on a meat
thermometer in thickest part, 3-4 hours more.

4. Transfer ham to a cutting board or platter, cover loosely with foil,
and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Carve slices perpendicular to the bone
and serve with roasted shallots and pan juices.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Fresh uncured ham makes a wonderful holiday roast: It's a good,
big cut for a party, tender and marbled but not fatty. Oranges, with
their clean, citrusy spark, are an excellent foil for the pork's rich taste.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roast Leg of Pork with Fresh Herbs and Fennel Seeds

Recipe By : Bruce Aidells, Food and Wine
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Main Dish
Meats Pork

3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 tablespoons chopped basil
2 tablespoons chopped thyme
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 20lb whole leg of pork with skin -- partially boned, fat

trimmed to 1/3 inch

1. In a mini food processor, combine the salt, fennel seeds, basil,
thyme, garlic, pepper, sage, rosemary and coriander. Process to a
paste. Spread one third of the herb paste in the pocket where the hip
and leg bones were. Using cotton twine, tie the roast in 5 places to
give it a neat shape. With a sharp knife, make 3 dozen slits through
the skin and fat all over the top of the roast. Rub the remaining herb
paste all over the surface of the roast and into the slits. Refrigerate
the roast overnight. Remove the meat from the refrigerator 2 hours
before roasting.

2. Preheat the oven to 450°. Put the meat on a rack set in a large
roasting pan and roast in the lower third of the oven for 20 minutes.
Turn the pan around. Reduce the oven temperature to 325° and roast the
meat for 3 1/2 hours longer, turning the pan again after 1 1/2 hours.
Turn the pan one last time and roast the meat for 15 minutes longer, or
until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part
registers 145°. If the skin isn't crisp, turn the heat up to 400° for
the last 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and
let rest for 30 to 45 minutes; the final temperature will be 150° to
155°. Carve the roast and serve with the degreased pan juices.

SERVINGS: 12, WITH LEFTOVERS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This behemoth of a cut makes a spectacular holiday roast that won't
break anyone's budget. To make carving easier, be sure to ask the
butcher to remove the aitch bone (hip bone) and the main leg bone,
leaving the shank bone intact. The pork is best when seasoned and
refrigerated overnight before roasting, so plan accordingly.
WINE RECOMMENDATION: A dry, aromatic, spicy-fruity Gewürztraminer will
accent the salty, garlicky flavors of the pork. Try either the 1997
Fetzer Mendocino County Dry Reserve from California or the 1998 Domaine
Lucien Albrecht from Alsace.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener