Frogleg

Default Recipe for Unimix or Other Nutritionally Complete Food?

On 5 Nov 2003 10:07:41 -0800, wrote:

>> >I read about a food called "Unimix" which is supposed to be
>> >nutritionally complete, and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for
>> >it. Alternatively, if anyone has a recipe for some other
>> >nutritionally complete food (like bars of some sort that I can eat day
>> >in or day out) or even places where I can buy such a food, I would
>> >greatly appreciate it.

>> I can find no reference to "unimix" that refers to a food substance.

>Do a google search for "Unimix food" (without the quotes) and you will
>receive many hits. Disregard the first few, and you'll see articles
>that mention it in passing as a famine relief food.

Well, blow me down. "Unimix" didn't turn up anything food-related on
the first couple of pages and I gave up.

Adding the qualifier yielded quite a few hits on a food material
developed by Roche of Switzerland which appears to be a high-protein
fortified flour used as a food *supplement* in emergency situations.
It's *not* a complete food or a complete diet.

A "recipe" for UNIMIX is a contradiction in terms. If you believe it
to be a complete nutritional program, then surely all you have to do
is spoon it out and swallow. Various diet foods and nutritional
substitutes for Real Food exist -- sugar, water, protein powder, and
vitamins. UNIMIX is probably Boost without the water.

If you're interested enough to query a cooking group, why not consider
cooking Real Food? People don't eat kibble -- goats eat kibble. There
is no human "cuisine" based on a basic mix of nutritional absolutes.
In desperate situations, supplements may need to be supplied, but
flour, cooking oil, and vitamin pills aren't food for life.

One of my brothers had a housemate who decided unheated cans of
condensed soup were adequate for human life, and bought a case to
sustain him over a busy week. A youthful constitution can survive just
about anything. :-)