Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Back to basics

On Aug 4, 9:01 am, Scooter > wrote:
> [snip]
> So I was thinking, what if I only bought basic single-ingredient food
> and we made everything else ourselves from those single ingredients?
> ..... We don't buy anything
> prepared if it can reasonably be prepared in a home kitchen. Basics
> all the way.

Where do you set your limits, what does "reasonably" mean? Make all
your own bread, fine. What about all the pasta and Asian noodles?
Make your own tomato sauce, fine; what about your favorite ten
different kinds of German, Italian and Chinese sausages? Make your
own mayonnaise, fine; what about mustards, ketchup, soy sauce,
worcestershire sauce, sriracha? Can I make key lime pie with
sweetened condensed milk or do I have to go the custard route because
the ingredients are more "basic"?

> How would life change under this new approach?

A lot more time in the kitchen. Time that would become work instead
of fun.

> I think we would eat better.

I think you might eat more wholesome food because fewer additives, but
very likely would also eat blander food.

> If you were to adopt this approach, how would your life change?

Wouldn't do it, too rigid. I'm not going to try to make my own
fermented bean curd or oyster sauce and I'm not going to give up soba
noodles or knockwurst or andouille sausage. And don't even think
about how to make my gin and tonic...... -aem