Posted to rec.food.cooking
PL[_5_] PL[_5_] is offline

Default About orange juice : aseptically processed juice

"Robert Miles" > wrote in news:a983o.43704
:

> "PL" > wrote in message
> 5...
>> It's happening here, so it's undoubtedly happening everywhere. We are

on
>> family that is never buying supermarket "fresh juice" ever again.
>>
>> I'd rather get a bag of oranges and squeeze them myself.
>>

> [snip]
> Also necessary if you want to avoid the high level of sugar
> added to control the taste usually squeezed out of the rind
> by machines.

Another interesting fact was that the people doing this add what they call
"Valencia Essence" to the stuff to make it more orange in colour, and to
make it smell and taste more like Valencia oranges.

"We'll also add a little highlighter to it, to give it a bit more flavour.
The highlighter is called Valencia Essence, it is a liquid that tastes
like Valencia orange," the whistleblower, who worked for National Foods,
claimed.

"When you buy fresh juice in winter, 20% would be fresh and the rest of it
would be aseptic and concentrate," the whistleblower claimed.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.