Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Germany considers tax on the obese.

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> walt tonne wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 6:07 am, walt tonne > wrote:
>>> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...tax-on-the-obe...
>>>
>>> About time somebody made the move.

>> I see people 30 - 60 years old using mobility carts in the
>> supermarket.
>> Nothing wrong with them except overeating.
>>

> How do you know there is nothing wrong with them except overeating?
> Perhaps they have a condition that makes it very painful to get exercise.
> It can cause a downward spiral. They can't exercise because of pain, they
> gain weight and it gets increasingly painful.

(crossposting snipped)

A few years ago after my brother had surgery he wanted to go to the grocery
store. He wasn't *obviously* impaired but the doctor told him to stay off
his feet for a few days. He wanted to stock up on food on the way home from
the hospital. He used one of those motarized carts because the doctor told
him not to walk. I'm sure lots of people would have looked at him and
assumed "lazy" rather than "doctor's orders". Not everyone who needs those
carts is old (or fat).

Jill