Bill Spohn

Default IGT Notes

The theme of this tasting was IGT wines (or before that term came into use,
Vino de Tavola) - Italian wines that for whatever reason did not qualify as
DOC. The reasons for this include wines made outside of a DOC area, made with
the addition of unauthorised varietals, or with the deletion of mandatory ones,
or in some instances, wines that the producer just didn't feel he wanted a DOC
(or DOCG) stamp on.

2000 Poggio alle Gazze Sauvignon Blanc - interesting story on this one. It is a
white Ornellia, sort of. At least the grapes were planted there so they could
have a white for their own use, but Mondavi ripped 'em out to plant Cabernet,
so the wine is no more. A slightly oaky melony nose that certainly didn't shout
out sauvignon blanc, but didn't quite fit any other varietal, and a clean,
pleasant wine that probably doesn't warrant the asking price ($30+)

1999 Allegrini La Grola - still purple, but not showing much of anything in the
nose, closed and not expressing much. Medium body, soft tannin. Perhaps with
time this will develop, as the 97 was very good.

1997 Monsanto Tinscvil - this oddball is named after an Etruscan word that
means something like "Hey, baby - enjoy this wine" Made from Sangiovese (70%),
cab (20%) and merlot (10%), this medium coloured wine showed dried cherries in
the nose and was ready for drinking. It may hold, but I have a slight
reservation as to whether there is sufficient fruit to age for too long.

1994 Umani Ronchi Pelago - a blend of Montepulciano (40%), cab (50%), and
merlot (10%) from Marches, this one showed an initially slightly funky, earthy
nose and good fruit, balance and length. Nice wine.

2001 Gaja Ca Marcanda Promis - 55% Merlot, 35% Syrah, and 10% Sangiovese made
from Tuscan grapes. Warm coffee and currant nose, with herbal green notes,
ready to drink now.

2000 Ceuso Fastaia - a blend of 70% Nero d'Avola, 15% cab franc and 15% merlot
from Sicily, this one has a sweet, ripe nose reminiscent of an Amarone, and had
a big, thick feel to it, with tons of acidity. I'd like to try this again in a
couple of years.

1997 Umani Ronchi Pelago - a very different wine than the 94, this seemed more
international in style (I could have guessed it was New World if I didn't know
better) with bitter cherry fruit, lots of tannin, but good structure and length
- needs time.

1999 De Angelis Anghelos - the blend here is Montepulciano, sangiovese and
cabernet. Dark wine with a big sweet (slightly coconutty) nose, light tannins
and a finish that chopped off a bit short of ideal.

1995 Luce - Mondavi (when he wasn't our ripping up the SB at Ornellaia) and
Frescobaldi got together and produced Lucente, and this wine, top of their
line, both being blends of sangiovese and merlot. Dark, with a sweet burnt
sugar nose and farmyard nose, it still has lots of tannin and excellent plummy
fruit. It may have been drying a little at the end, so I'm not sure what the
future will hold.

2001 Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco - a Sangiovese with 14.5% alcohol with links to
Sassicaia (the vineyard used to be planted in cabernet used for Sass.) Dark,
limpid appearance, with a strawberry nose with white pepper. Smooth and full,
good length and a nuttiness at the end. I'd give this one more time!

1999 Villa Pillo Syrah - our first Syrah of the night, and we wandered about a
bit before coming back to this grape - the hint was the nose, which was quite
Rhonish at first but changed to cleaner fruit with air, retaining only a bit of
smoked meat as a tip-off. Sweet in the mouth and ready to drink.

2001 Cusumano Benuara - a blend of Nero d'Avola and Syrah from Sicily, this
wine had a hot ripe nose and was soft and round in the mouth, if a little
spirity. Nice cheese wine.