Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:02:07 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote:
>>
>>I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
>>meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
>>electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
>>grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
>>casings).

>Where did you buy that grinder?
>
>A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
>So I looked it up...
>If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:

Those numbers are just a sleazy way some companies use to grossly
inflate the power of small electric motors. Creative marketing?
What they show is not the continuous power rating. Rather it's the
power calculated on the split second current draw at the instant of
stall (locked rotor current).
Even given a generous efficiency rating of 70%, a motor with a
continuous power rating of 2.6 HP would draw approximately 24 amps at
115 volts. That'll kick off your normal household breaker in an
instant.
So, you take your new grinder, cut up some meat, feed it through the
grinder and if it gives you the results you're looking for, be happy.

Ross