Old 24-07-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.

I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some "comps".
Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made in the US. If
so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

Even an American company with manufacturing in China is
preferable. This company's only presence is on alibaba.com, which
is notorious for shady materials.

Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
work.

-sw

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Bob

I'm sure it will work as well as any similarly priced grinder.

I think one would be hard pressed to find any small appliances that
are made in the US anymore, not for many years now. My 6 year old
Waring Pro grinder is made in China. My 20 year old Moulinex grinder
is made in France. My nearly 50 year old Osterizer blender is made in
Milwaukee, WI USA. Americans don't make stuff anymore.