Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen to
make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the Interbake3
pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare room. LOL

Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using chuck
roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

The recipe for Chaurice sausage from The Gumbopages looks simple enough. I
love Chaurice sausage. It can be ground as patties or piped into casings.
(I'm sure I'd just start off with the patties.) The recipe looks pretty
simple:

Chaurice

* 4 pounds lean fresh pork, butt or shoulder
* 2 pounds fresh pork fat
* 2 cups onion, finely minced
* 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
* 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 8 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground red pepper
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
* 5 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
* 3 bay leaves, finely crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 3 yards small sausage casing (optional)

Cut the pork at fatback into small pieces. Mix together and run once through
the coarse disc of a meat grinder, into a large bowl. Add the seasonings and
mix thoroughly until the stuffing is very smooth and well-blended.

Make into patties, and use within three days or freeze. Also, you can stuff
the chaurice into casings; make each sausage about six inches in length.

YIELD: Approximately 18 servings.

I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. Even if I did, I
don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.

What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Jill