Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default 700° Degree Roast Chicken (kinda long...)

Giusi wrote:

>>> I rotisserie chicken all the time in a dedicated rotisserie, not a
>>> grill. I>> set it at max and let her rip. I always get a very crisp
>>> skin.

> It just seems that when using the rotisserie
>> on my Weber there's a ton of fat that renders off the bird and it never >
>> totally goes away before the internal temperature says it's done.

> Maybe you should crank back on the heat for the last minutes? I always
> thought my crisp skin was because of the high temps, not in spite of...

I think it ought to be the other way around: cook at the lower temperature
until the grease renders out, then crank the heat up to crisp the skin and
finish cooking. It bears a passing similarity to the technique of cooking a
beef roast at a low temperature until nearly done, then using a blowtorch on
it to finish.

Bob