Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Odd sized jars?

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:12:50 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:
>

> >I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
> >other canning books today and saw a reference to using
> >1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
> >or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
> >which exist but aren't that easy to find?
> >
> >gloria p

> They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
> bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
> so and would love to find more.
>
> They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
> look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
> and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
> house.

Do you still have the boxes, Susan? Were they billed as freezer jars?
I think those were about 3-cups, tapering to wider at the top than
bottom so that removing a frozen block of something was easier to do.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of