Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default frozen pizza dough

On 7/18/2010 12:57 PM, sf wrote:

> I made twice the amount of dough the last time I made pizza and froze
> the leftovers. I let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and
> noticed it was not rising, so I left it there another day. Still
> nothing, so I put it out on the counter for a few hours. It
> definitely wasn't dead because I saw yeast holes but it didn't have
> any significant oomph to it either. I went ahead and made pizza with
> it last night and the crust was fantastic! Very crispy. It was easy
> to roll& stretch thin and I even got a couple of bubbles on the edge
> of the finished pizzas, which is a big plus for me. However, if I had
> intended that dough to be bread in the end, the way I'd intended
> before, it would have been another colossal failure. Conclusion:
> frozen pizza dough is OK - but I will not try freezing bread dough
> again because my thawed dough does not rise properly.

Back in the "long ago" when I was going to college, I would buy 10
loaves of frozen bread dough for $1 at the bread outlet store. The
local market sold small cans of tomato sauce for 10 to 15 cents each...
and this was in Wisconsin, so the local cheese places had mozzarella
cheap. It was possible to put together a cheese pizza for less than $1.

Sometimes that bread dough got defrosted and turned into pretzels.
Funny how creative you can be when you are broke.

George L