Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default frozen pizza dough

"sf" > wrote in message

> I made twice the amount of dough the last time I made pizza and froze
> the leftovers. I let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and
> noticed it was not rising, so I left it there another day. Still
> nothing, so I put it out on the counter for a few hours. It
> definitely wasn't dead because I saw yeast holes but it didn't have
> any significant oomph to it either. I went ahead and made pizza with
> it last night and the crust was fantastic! Very crispy. It was easy
> to roll & stretch thin and I even got a couple of bubbles on the edge
> of the finished pizzas, which is a big plus for me. However, if I had
> intended that dough to be bread in the end, the way I'd intended
> before, it would have been another colossal failure. Conclusion:
> frozen pizza dough is OK - but I will not try freezing bread dough
> again because my thawed dough does not rise properly.
>
> --

I'm not going to say this was a collosal failure I'm going to say you
probably shouldn't have let it thaw in the refrigerator. I think you should
have let the dough thaw completely, covered with a loose cotton towel (at
room temp if it's warm or of hot water if it's cool in the room). It may
have taken 8-12 hours for frozen dough to thaw and rise properly It's been
a long time since I made thick crust pizza dough but I do remember letting
it rise. Don't give up too soon.

Sometimes I like crispy pizza

Jill