Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Tough Garbanzo Beans

I recently tried Trader Joe's canned garbanzo beans,
and found them noticably tougher than my usual
S&W brand. As I recall, S&W (and presumably other
brands of canned garbanzo beans) are made from
dehydrated beans. I think I remember seeing that
on the ingredients list, in years past. I have
a recent can and I checked it, and that ingredient
is now called "prepared garbanzo beans" without any
indication of what preparation that might be.

Canned garbanzo beans seem to have risen in price
quite a lot in recent years. I'm wondering whether
there would be a cheaper brand as tender as S&W.
I've thought about preparation from dry beans, but
I like the convenience of a can. If I have to
pressure cook them or something to soften them up,
that's not worth it. I'll buy the can.