Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jinx Minx Jinx Minx is offline

Default silicone baking mat for roling roti

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
On Jul 13, 1:04 pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
> > Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
> > mat? This lady uses it:
> > Roti, Chapati (Flat Indian Bread) Recipe by Manjula
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_...eature=channel

> I've never made them before (now I want to!) but I would have to
> guess the silicone mat helps the roti stay in place while you roll
> them as opposed to just a floured board where they would slide
> around. I think you need to limit how much flour is added during the
> rolling. The silicone has a sort of stickiness, the dough would
> grip to without gettting stuck.
>
> Plus, you will notice she has a tiled counter which requires her to
> use something to roll them.
>
> -Tracy

Yeah, I do notice that she has a tile counter. I am not sure about
the flour board sliding around as much as sticking if not enough
flour is used. So I think the benefit might be the limit on flour used
during rolling. Too much use would make the roti be a bit hard. I
made a few last summer. It was a bit harder than I'd like. So, I
guess I should get the silicone baking mat she has. I wonder what size
she got. Does it look like 9in x12 in to you? It's at about 2:20 mins
into the video.

Here is another video of roti by a different person. Roti is also
called Chapati in different dialect in India and Pakistan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ7M...eature=channel

In this manjula video of 2009 - the first one of her (roti), is 2007,
she is using wood board: Paratha (Indian Flatbread) Recipe by Manjula
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcVlGze5lQ

If you like roti with layers, look at this one called parathas. She
made it a lot healthier than the one I have had which was full of oil
and butter in the making process and alos ith all purpose flour.

If you like it it with potato filling, this one is by the lady
"Manjula". And she is using the baking mat to roll Paratha
Aloo Parathas Recipe by Manjula,Indian Vegetarian Gourmet -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqZl...eature=related

Aloo Parathas by vahchef; he mined every ingredient of the filling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV3dY...eature=channel

Meat Paratha by vahchef:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyoF...eature=related