Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Raw Oysters

"Mark Thorson" wrote

> I'm expecting hot weather today, so I'm not planning
> to cook anything until the evening. I took a look
> at the oyster tank at the nearby Asian market, and
> I found a really big one. At only $0.69, it seemed
> like a great deal. I could eat it raw, so that
> would not heat up the house.

Hehehe how good depends on the particular market. Mine is very good.

> This might be the last oyster I ever eat. It was
> okay, but I'm not sure I really appreciate raw
> oyster. I'd much rather eat steamed clams.

Not all like them! I'm not that fond of them either. I prefer steamed.

What I do is wash (scrub) then steam them open (ones that dont open are
tossed but I don't have that often as my market is a good one). Then, I add
them to dashi soup with miso, spinach and a little knob of ginger. Shell
and all, it looks rather pretty.