Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:
>
> > Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
> > no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
> > anyway... most paprika is a blend.

> YOU can't tell the difference. More discerning people (i.e., people with a
> functioning sense of smell) can.

I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can tell
a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not much taste to
speak of), "smoked", and "hot".

If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about them; I've
never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.

Isaac