Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter[_24_] Peter[_24_] is offline

Default Does one need to go to culinary school to become a professionalcook?

Hi,

I want to really thank everyone who responded. Basically, you
reaffirmed what I thought, which to me is great news!
I know that even in a discipline like mathematics, the bottom line is
that if you can do the job, have some demonstrable talent, and can get
results, you can get hired without much in the way of "academic
credentials". It's not easy, but it can definitely be done if one
wants to.

I do expect it to be very hard and demanding, but all I know is that I
want to do it. I love every aspect of food and what I don't know, I
want to learn. I am used to working long hours and strange schedules,
and I am in pretty good physical shape, so I don't see these aspects
of the job being roadblocks for me. The only thing of which I am not
too sure is my sense of taste: I *think* it is good, but when I hear
people like Gordon Ramsey say he can taste 15 different flavors in one
dish, my head kinda spins. I know my sense of taste will never be that
keen.

I am very fortunate as I am close by to a pretty good cooking school
(Midwest Culinary Institute) where I can take some classes to make
sure I am competent in the basics at a very reasonable cost. I plan to
visit some kitchens of some local restaurants and ask if I can also
observe to make sure that I have a realistic perception of what it is
like, if I can do it, and what would be required of me. I am also very
fortunate in that I can take a year's leave of absence from my job, so
if cooking as a profession isn't my dish, so to speak,, I can go back
to the exciting world of math. ;>)

Thank you once again for the responses!

Peter