George Cutshaw

Default Wine Spectator Article on TCA

"Bromo" > wrote in message
> On 2/21/04 11:15 AM, in article lsLZb.8420$4K3.3225@fed1read06, "Thomas
> Curmudgeon" > wrote:
>
> > Mark Lipton wrote:
> >
> >> Interesting read, Bill. I find Gallo's attitude very disturbing.
> >> While it's true that most US consumers cannnot reliably identify cork
> >> taint, is it any better for them to think that you're making musty,

dull
> >> wine? In the end, it's an issue of quality control -- and Gallo's
> >> attitude smacks of the arrogance and condescension that I've come to
> >> expect from that organization.

> > That can't be their only statement on the matter, so it smacks of bias
> > by WS. It certainly sounds arrogant and foolish in context, certainly if
> > that was their overall view on the issue.

> Actually Gallo tends to be rather picky about quality control of the

process
> of making wine. WS does not like them, I am sure, because they do not

make
> high end wines.

Well, first of all, they do make some high end wines -- a reserve Cab that
is usually very good.

Secondly, WS likes Gallo, they've been on the cover before with stories
about Gallo history, etc. WS likes any winery that ADVERTISES and Gallo
certainly does that -- there have been lots of 2 page spreads and full-page
ads by Gallo in WS.