Posted to rec.food.preserving
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default Canning jars

George Shirley wrote:

> I just know some unknowing young person out there is throwing grannie's
> or momma's fruit jars away as I type this.

Absolutely. Do you have a local "Freecycle" online access? I think
you can ask for things as well as list things to give away.

When we lived in RI I posted the following in a swap column in the
local paper:

"Wanted: Concord Grapes. Will trade jars of jam for same."

I had four calls from people wanting grapes, no one offering, and I know
there were grapes rotting on the vines in certain neighborhoods. We
planted our own vines the following year and usually had more than we
could use.

We also planted Concord vines when we moved to this house. Mistake. We
should have planted table grapes. The raccoons eat their fill because
we have no more grape jam eaters in the house.

gloria p