Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default Looking For Chocolate Recipes

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I also do not like too much sweetness for my baked stuff. A recipe for
> a good chocolate mousse would be fine, as long as the amount of sugar is
> not overpowering. Years ago, I had a wonderful recipe for chocolate
> mousse from Gourmet Magazine, flavored with orange zest (and juice or
> extract?) and served in the hollowed out orange peel halves. I don't
> expect anybody to remember it after so many years, but it was a
> wonderful dish.
>
> Thank you and happy holidays, Margaret

Hi, Margaret! Happy Holidays to you, too!

While this is not a chocolate mousse recipe, it looked like it might fit
your needs. It calls for less than 1/2 cup of sugar for 8 servings, so I
think it would probably not be too sweet, but you could probably cut down on
the sugar a bit if you want. It's from www.epicurious.com (I tried to find
the chocolate mousse recipe, but they don't seem to have anything like that
on-line).

rona

CHOCOLATE-ORANGE POTS DE CREME
Parisians love chocolate, and cooks in Paris might make this with
Valrhona, one of the best French brands. Begin preparing the dessert a day
ahead.
3 cups whipping cream
8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons orange liqueur

1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
8 large egg yolks
7 tablespoons sugar

Bring 1 cup cream to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add
chocolate; whisk until smooth. Whisk in 2 tablespoons orange liqueur. Spoon
1 tablespoon chocolate mixture into each of eight 3/4-cup custard cups.
Place cups in freezer. Reserve remaining chocolate mixture.

Combine milk, peel and 2 cups cream in medium saucepan. Scrape in
seeds from vanilla beans; add beans. Bring to simmer. Whisk yolks and sugar
in large bowl to blend. Whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Let stand
30 minutes. Strain through fine sieve set over medium bowl, pressing on
solids. Whisk 2 tablespoons orange liqueur into custard.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Ladle custard over chocolate in cups. Place
cups in large baking pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up
sides of cups. Bake until custards are set, about 50 minutes. Remove cups
from water. Stir chocolate mixture over low heat until just pourable if
necessary. Spoon generous 1 tablespoon chocolate mixture over each. Chill
overnight. Serve cold.

Makes 8.

Bon Appétit
December 1997