Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Stormmee Stormmee is offline

Default waaahhh!!!

remember that many of the animals you eat from the store would have never
been created if not for humans consuming them... so one place you can be
positive is eat farm raised fish... the DH is a carnavore but he hates
killing anything... he draws the line at bugs this way: if they invade my
space they want to go for the next step... if they stay "out there" its good
to me... i love plants also, its why i don't try and grow them, for me
taking in a plant is true creulty and certain death for the plant, Lee
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jun 26, 2:50 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > Julie. Don't tell anyone, but I was a vegetarian in the late 60's and
> > > early
> > > 70's.

> > I went mostly vegetarian at about age 12. We did eat some meat at home,
> > but we had meatless Mondays, perhaps in an effort to save money and also
> > had meatless meals other times of the week. I didn't really think about
> > it much.
> > [ . . . ]

> I became a vegetarian out of compassion for other living creatures. I
> stopped after about ten years. Having a steak, charred blood rare,
> tomorrow.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061- Hide quoted text -

This is precisely the problem I have with eating meat, which I have
never fully given up. I like a steak cooked just as you described.
If I had to kill an animal to eat, I don't know if I could do it. I
can't even fish anymore. I ran over a small bird that the wind blew
into my path a few weeks ago, I saw it turn to face me and square its
little birdy shoulders the instant before I hit it and then I burst
into tears and had to pull over. It has gotten so bad that last week
I got teary eyed and morose after I drowned an ant's nest -- they were
marching out of the flood carrying the larva on their backs -- they
want to live too! I realize this is not a healthy reaction, and
maybe a little neurotic, but if I have to feel this way, where do I
draw the line? Stop eating meat? Stop driving? Stop gardening?
Practically, no. So I brake for animals and garden without pesticides
and put up bird feeders and set out food for stray cats and volunteer
at the animal shelter and give money to the Humane Society and try to
eat only meat (or eggs, dairy, etc.) from animals that have been
treated humanely. That's hard to do sometimes because either you
don't know for sure or it can be so damn expensive. We're fortunate in
that we can afford to eat those foods for the most part, but as a
consequence we do eat less meat and more vegetables -- can't be a bad
thing ;-) Of course, lately I've noticed tender feelings toward my
garden plants.

Gosh, I don't know where that came from, but I feel better now :-)