Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.zen,alt.philosophy.zen,rec.boats
oxtail oxtail is offline

Default Is the world better off for having more animals?

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

> On 6/24/2010 8:58 AM, oxtail wrote:
>> Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
>>
>>> All it means is wanting the animals to exist. If someone wants the
>>> animals that ****wit wishes to eat to exist, then ****wit says the
>>> person has "consideration for their lives". If someone doesn't want
>>> those animals to exist, then ****wit shrieks they have "no
>>> consideration for their lives", and he berates them for not wanting
>>> the animals to exist.

>> He might not be expressing it convincingly,

> You can say that again. Never mind, I will: He isn't presenting it
> convincingly.
>

>> but he appears to be sincere

> I think not. He blabbers quite often about animal welfare, but he has
> written numerous things over the years indicating he doesn't really care
> about animal welfare. I'll post those separately.
>

>> the gist of what he is trying say is LoL that has support of several
>> philosophers.
>>
>> "The Logic of the Larder""(LL): We do animals a favor by purchasing
>> meat, eggs, and milk, for if we did not purchase these products,
>> fewer animals would exist (Stephen, 1896). LL results from the
>> common notion that the supply of farm animals roughly follows the
>> demand for their products; and the less common notion that the world
>> is made better off by having more animals in existence.
>> Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics (2005) 18: GAVERICK
>> MATHENY and KAI M. A. CHAN
>> HUMAN DIETS AND ANIMAL WELFA THE ILLOGIC OF THE LARDER

> Matheny is *disputing* the LoL, you idiot.
>

>> It can be wrong,
>> but it does not appear to be nonsensical to me.

> It is nonsensical. Coming into existence is not a benefit. The
> fundamental premise of LoL is that coming into existence *is* a benefit,
> and clearly it is not. A benefit is something that improves the welfare
> of the beneficiary, and clearly existence does not improve an entity's
> welfare - it establishes it. If I take some wood and build a table, I
> have not "improved" a table. It is immaterial if you think I have
> "improved" the wood; the entity that has come into existence is the
> table, and it was not improved upon by being built.
>
> LoL is nonsense.

That's just your opinion.
Actually the "coming into existence" part is
most interesting to me.
I don't care about your clueless opinion.
I don't think even the authors of the article are
fully qualified for the task at hand.
Do you know of any famous thinker who thinks
that "the world is" NOT "made better off
by having more animals in existence"?

Is the world better off for having more animals?

First thing first:
what kind of question is this?
Factual?
Legal?
Ethical?
Ontological?
Religious?
Buddhist?
Zen?

--
Oxtail is not doing what he thinks he is doing here.

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.