Santiago G.H.

Default Galician wines

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

>>A must from around there is a Valdeorras from "Bodegas A Tapada",
>>specfically their "Guitián Godello" made from formerly obscure
>>godello grapes.

> Let me add that the person who confirmed the quality of these wines to
> me (before going out and tasting them myself) was Santiago, and I am
> sure he will add more great suggestions.
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike for your kind comment. My favorite white not-albariño (actual
D.O. for what commonly is called Albariño is Rias Baixas) is the one you
mention, from D.O. Valdeorras: "Bodegas A Tapada Guitián Godello" 2002 is
not bad, but 2001 is better IMHO. They also have a barrel fermented wine
under the name "Guitián Fermentado en Barrica" which is not my favorite
wine. I think I read somewhere that they were changing the latter for a
less oaked white, under the name "Guitián sobre lías" (Guitián over lees).

In D.O. Ribeiro there is another excellent choice: Viña Meín, with 2001
again a bit better than 2002 IMHO.

I think that Viña Meín and Guitián Godello are the safer bets for Galician
whites out of D.O. Rias Baixas.

Best,

Santiago