Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kajikit[_2_] Kajikit[_2_] is offline

Default Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:10:10 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
>> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday. I
>> remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
>> just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>>
>> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use it.
>> It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.

>According to David Lebovitz, whom I trust, gelatin never goes bad.

The only thing that might be wrong with it is if moisture has gotten
into it. If it's still a nice light powder, it's fine. I don't think
you can ever get all the lumps out if moisture has seeped in though.
(mama had a jar of gelatin and eventually it turned into a solid
lump...)