Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Unflavored Gelatin Expiration date

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:58:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I've got everything to make the key lime pie for DH's Bday on Monday.

I went to Trader Joe's last night. They didn't have key limes and
rarely have them, in fact the produce guy couldn't recall ever having
them in stock. I asked if it was just that store and he said TJ is
uniform so if others have key limes, they will too.

> I remebererd I had a box of unopened unflavored gelatin in the pantry. I
> just looked at it and it seems to have expired 12/21/08
>
> What could be in it to have it expire? Do y'all think I can still use
> it. It's not the cost but the bother of going to the store.

I've never thought about gelatin expiring. Yeast I'd worry about, but
not gelatin. I'm sure I've used gelatin from the Jurassic age in the
past, because I don't use it very often.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.