Dale Williams

Default Big dinner, lots of 2000 Bordeaux

In article <1075130004.795411@shiraz>, "Michael Bartlett"
> writes:

>Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is the/a second

Nothing to forgive, I should have explained. A second is a wine that a chateaux
offers (a few even offer a third) as a less-expensive, earlier drinking
alternate to its flagship wine. It can be made from grapes from vines
considered too young for the main wine, or from a section of vineyard that did
not do quite as well. Another factor can be the mix of varietals (cépage) for a
particular year. A vineyard might be planted 60% Cab. Sauv., 20% Merlot, 15%
Cab. Franc, and 5% Petit Verdot. But winemaker might decide a particular year
was particularly successful for Cab. Sauv., and increase to 70%.

Good chateaux tend to take pride in their seconds, and sell off any substandard
grapes/juice. Then the seconds can provide a good glimpse of a chateau's style,
albeit usually in a slightly lighter, earlier-drinking form.

Most famously, obviously, are the seconds of the 1st growths, like Pavillon
Rouge of Ch. Margaux and Bahabns-Haut-Brion. Some others that are often good
are Sarget de Gruaud-Larose, Reserve de la Comtesse (Pichon-Lalande, though I'd
be hesitant re this one after tasting the 2000 first), Les Fiefs de Lagrange,
La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion, & La Dame de la Montrose.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply