Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Oyster sauce substitute?

"Omelet" wrote
> Kalmia wrote:

>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>> hand?
>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.

>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

> There really is no substitute. I'd try mixing a bit of Hoisin and
> Teryaki. Got any worcestershire? If so, I'd add that too.

Lol! That would also be a good addition but yes, you can sub.

In my cabinet is a Kimlan (Taiwan) vegetarian mushroom 'oyster' sauce. No
oysters in it, this time it's a texture thing that drives the name. I have
an entire cabinet dedicated to 'sauces and vinegars' here. Don and I like
to play with different flavors in marinades. I also have a new bannana hot
sauce from Mexico to try.