Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Oyster sauce substitute?

"PL" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote
>> "Kalmia" wrote

>>> What would you use in place of oyster sauce, if you didn't have it on
>>> hand?
>>> I have soy, teriyaki, ponzu, hoisin.....but no oyster.
>>> It was called for in a Thai sauce for a shrimp dish.

>> Teriyaki and Hoisin mixed. It won't be the same, but it will do.

> I was going to go the soy and hoisin mixed.

Not enough 'kick'. SF adds a paste of garlic, onion and ginger which might
be good too. For me, I stuck where the texture would match up fairly close.
Now, if i didnt mind a texture change and wanted to close in on the flavor,
I'd open a tin of smoked oysters and add one to the blender then pulse until
smooth.

I'd also have tamari vice teriyaki sauce. I've adjusted asian recipes on
the fly around ingredients for ages it seems.

What I recall of the few Thai oyster sauces is they were a little thinner.
This may be just the brands I tried though. Current one is a Malaysian
brand called Dynasty. Fairly thick as they go.