Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wonderful Bounty

Mr. Bill wrote:

> Sounds so good!! We had three blueberry bushes...they just didn't
> do a thing...and we tried everything. I guess it just isn't the
> right soil here on our red clay ridge we live on. And blueberries
> are the best thing you can eat!!

When I first planted my blueberry bushes they didn't do very well. My
neighbour suggested digging some peat moss into the soil around them and
using an acidic fertilizer. That did wonders. I watched those little
suckers grow from little green balls, to yellow to light blue. Then,
just as they ripened, the birds got them all. I now have a wire mesh
covering them and hope to get a small crop this year.

Last weekend I picked up a couple black currant bushes. I have less than
found memories of picking currants in my parent's garden, but I also
remember how good my mother's black currant jam was.

It is hard to find black currants around here, and they are very
expensive. A local berry farm had them and made all their pickers pick
one pint of currants, which the pickers hated doing because it took so
long to fill the basket and they got so little money for it.