Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Wonderful Bounty

On 6/10/2010 10:31 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 9, 11:24 pm, > wrote:
>> In >,
>>

>> > wrote:
>>> Gorgeous bounty!

>>> I am ridiculously proud of myself because I have managed to grow
>>> tomatoes and cucumbers in my Topsy Turvey planters. I have wanted to
>>> try those silly planters since I first saw them a few years ago. This
>>> year, I tried them out. I have seven or eight green tomatoes and
>>> three or four cucumbers on the vines this morning. We have rabbits
>>> in our neighborhood. I don't know how to keep them out of ground
>>> plants, so the hanging planters looked like a good idea.

>>> My pear trees and blueberry bushes are producing lots of fruit. We
>>> got a handful of ripe blueberries yesterday. The bushes are full of
>>> green blueberries. The pear trees are full of baby pears.

>>> We have finally come out of a years-long drought. I am amazed to see
>>> how much more fruit is growing this summer.

>>> Tara

>> Congrats. :-)
>> I've wanted to try those tomato planters too.
>> How much sun do yours get?
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>
>> Web Albums:<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine- Hide quoted text -

> Our local Ace Hardware had "tomato towers" this year - rectangular
> planters on legs - fairly good-sized - I like that idea because
> tomatoes would be out of reach of the critters and easy to
> maintain....they were that outdoor-type Rubbermaid-style plastic and
> you could put casters on the legs. But I didn't try it. Or haven't
> tried it yet, anyway.
>
> I had regular sized tomato plants in three ginormous pots on my deck a
> few years ago, but they got stem rot, and I got rid of the pots....
>
> N.

Our problem is tree rats, aka gray squirrels. Between the squirrels and
the !@#$ cardinals most of our tomatoes and peaches are getting either
eaten whole or pecked holes in them by the redbirds. I'm keeping the
birdbath full and that seems to help but not enough.