Posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

Default SFWS June Tasting..Italy

Well it seems we are having a rush of Italian notes.

Solihull Fine Wine Soc June tasting, blind as usual. Very short notes as off
to Marbella and Deia for 3 weeks. BTW, the village shop in Deia sells Dom
Perignon, says all about the place. We have been going for five years and
love it.

This was an unusual tasting. In 2001, Rowland ordered these wines, but two
each. We had them in 2002 and I cannot find notes. So 8 years later he put
them on again. We they be alive? Read on.

Pinot Nero Riserva, Hofstatter, Barthenau Estate 1997
Brown edge, herbal organic **** pot pinot, good entrance, medium soft
tannins and still fruit.....dryimg out.

Salcheto Vino Nobile di Multepulchiano Riserva, 1997
Good depth with hint of age, an alcoholic nose with oak and some spice.
Fruit and tannins just holding out, drying out

La Grola, Allegrini, 1997
dull and brown edge, dead on nose and palate

La Grola, Allegrini, 1998
huge depth and bright, ripe damsons but dumb nose and reflected in palate,
drying out

Amarone della Valopolicella Classico, Allegrini 1997
Extract with just a hint of age, huge nose of marshmallow and berries, that
cooked Amarone nose, wonderful entry, heat and fruit, all in balance, lomg
superb 2nd WOTN

Cepparello, Isole e Olena 1998
Stunning looker, depth, a restrained salty, spice, organic, leather nose,
huge tannins, good fruit and spice..............will it come round, (
thought of 1975 LLC)

Casa Via Syrah, Fontodi, 1998
Huge depth, a wonderful mature nose of mint, cinnamon, clove, farmyard.
Whata palate, soft fruit, big soft tannins, spice and berries. Long Long.
WOTN and one of the WOTY so far, just stupendous.

Barbera d'Alba, Giacomo Conterno 1998
Looks like mature burg, dumb nose and drying out.

Interesting night

John